Admission to the Doctor in Sustainability
This article will guide you through relevant information about the admission qualifications, procedures, and requirements to the Doctor in Sustainability program. Please read through this article carefully.
What are the admission qualifications for the Doctor in Sustainability program?
To be admitted to the Doctor in Sustainability program, the applicant must:
- have satisfied the program-specific requirements listed in the program’s information and curriculum;
- have submitted the complete documentary requirements for admission before the application deadline;
- have taken and passed the admission exam if required for the program. Details of and instructions for taking the exam will be emailed by admissions; and
- have completed the UPOU Distance Education Readiness Module (DERM). Link to the DERM will be emailed by the UPOU Admission Section.
Is there a qualifying or entrance exam for the Doctor in Sustainability program?
There is no qualifying or entrance exam for the Doctor of Sustainability program.
What are the admission requirements for the Doctor in Sustainability program?
Aside from the Doctor in Sustainability-specific requirements, applicants must also secure the following:
Applicants for admission must:
- have a Master’s degree in any discipline;
- have a general weighted average of “1.75” or better for non-UP graduate or “2.0” or better for UP graduate, or its equivalent;
- demonstrate qualities of, and potentials for leadership as shown in their statement of purpose, references, and other pertinent documents;
- have at least 5 years of relevant work experience and/or equivalent research experience as evidenced by CV, certificate of employment, or a portfolio of scholarly publication (e.g., publications and studies undertaken wherein the applicant is an author, policy papers, technical paper) and/or creative work;
- submit a 500-word personal mission and vision as a student of the program;
- complete the Distance Education Readiness Module;
- submit a dissertation concept proposal outlining the research problem and research framework (2000 words)*
- English language proficiency report indicating that the applicant, who is not a native speaker of English and who did not take previous academic coursework in English, has passed a valid English proficiency examination. Applicants must have at least the following:
|English proficiency test||Scores|
|TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)|
|IELTS (International English Language Testing System)||6.5|
|TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication)||800|
(No other English test score is accepted)
- have proficiency in the use of computers and the Internet, which may be an actual demonstration of proficiency in the use of computer technologies, the Internet, and other information and communication tools essential for undertaking independent research;
- submit a Valid Official Transcript of Records (ToR) from the applicant’s Alma Mater recognized by the CHED or the University of the Philippines;
- submit two letters of recommendation from former professors, or from current/previous employers, or colleagues in the field of development;
- submit an official receipt to testify that the applicant has paid the required application fee to the UPOU;
- submit a Special Needs Statement that would include but not limited to physical and mental conditions that might require special attention or support service; and
- attend the Midyear Intensive Program**
What are the admission procedures for the Doctor in Sustainability program?
Step 1: Apply for admission and upload the admission requirements through the Online Application System (OAS). Monitor the progress of your application through the OAS. Please visit this link to view UPOU's admission deadlines.
Step 2: Mail or bring the complete and valid admission requirements on or before the deadline to the address below:
The Admission Section
Office of the University Registrar
UP Open University
Los Baños, Laguna 4031 Philippines
If a deadline has passed, applications for that deadline will no longer be accepted and will be evaluated for next Semester.
If you missed the deadline, you can expect the next deadline to be around the same date/period as the previous deadline. To be sure, always visit this page for updates.
Step 3: If required, take the admission exam. The details of and instructions for taking the exam will be emailed by admissions.
Step 4: If required, complete the DERM. The link to the DERM will be emailed by the Admissions Section.
Step 5: Wait for an email from the OUR about the admission results. Results of the evaluation will be released after the evaluation of the respective Admissions Committee of the program and before the registration/enrollment period of the applied term.
How much is the tuition for the Doctor in Sustainability program?
Tuition is PhP 1,000.00/unit. Semestral tuition for the program is PhP 8,200.00 for the maximum allowable load of 6 units. Click on the links for the schedule of tuition and payment procedures.
I have other questions.
For more information about the program, please visit the program webpage here: Doctor of Sustainability
For further admission inquiries and follow-ups on the status of your application, send an email to the UPOU Admission Section via the UPOU Helpdesk.
We look forward to having you as our student!