Admission to the Doctor of Philosophy in Education
This article will guide you through relevant information about the admission qualifications, procedures, and requirements to the Doctor of Philosophy in Education program. Please read through this article carefully.
The Doctor of Philosophy in Education (PhD in Education) program is open for admission every semester. You may click on any section in the Contents to directly navigate you to the information you need.
What are the admission qualifications for the PhD in Education program?
To be admitted to the PhD in Education program, the applicant must:
- have satisfied the program-specific requirements listed in the program’s information and curriculum;
- have submitted the complete documentary requirements for admission before the application deadline; and
- have completed the UPOU Distance Education Readiness Module (DERM). Link to the DERM will be emailed by the UPOU Admission Section.
Is there a qualifying or entrance exam for the PhD in Education program?
(Update as of 28 June 2021) There is no qualifying or entrance exam for the PhD in Education program.
What are the admission requirements for the PhD in Education program?
Aside from the PhD in Education-specific requirements, applicants must also secure the following:
- Print copy of the signed application for admission form generated from the Online Application System.
- Original copy of academic credentials
- Original and photocopy of the Official Transcript of Records (OTR). Please take note of the following:
- If the applicant attended multiple schools or earned multiple degrees, the applicant must submit the OTR from the last school attended. The latest OTR should reflect all credentials from prior school/s or degree/s.
- The OTR should bear the school’s dry seal and imprint, the Registrar’s signature in ink, and must bear an acceptable remarks. TORs without remarks are considered valid.
- If the applicant holds international scholastic records, the applicant must submit the original copy duly authenticated by the Philippine Foreign Service Post located in the student applicant’s country of origin or legal residence.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from any of your employer/supervisor, former professor, or former program adviser. Applicants must use the UPOU Form 1a for the recommendation.
- 500-word essay indicating your purpose for applying to the distance education programs and your plans after completion of graduate study at the UP Open University.
- Proof of Payment of Application fee (non-refundable) amounting to PHP 500.00 for applicants based in the Philippines, and USD 100.00 for applicants based abroad. View the payment procedures here.
- Photocopy of NSO or PSA birth certificate;
- Photocopy of government-issued IDs;
- Two (2) pieces identical 2” x 2” photos and two (2) pieces identical 1” x 1” photos, with your name and the program applied for printed at the back of the photo.
- Additional requirements for foreign applicants (non-Filipino):
- Scholastic Records duly authenticated by the Philippine Foreign Service Post located in the student applicant’s country of origin or legal residence;
- Photocopy of data page of the student’s passport showing date and place of birth, and birth certificate or its equivalent duly authenticated by the Philippine Foreign Service Post.
What are the admission procedures for the PhD in Education program?
Step 1: Apply for admission and upload the admission requirements through the Online Application System (OAS). Monitor the progress of your application through the OAS. Please visit this link to view UPOU's admission deadlines.
Step 2: Mail or bring the complete and valid admission requirements on or before the deadline to the address below:
The Admission Section
Office of the University Registrar
UP Open University
Los Baños, Laguna 4031 Philippines
If a deadline has passed, applications for that deadline will no longer be accepted and will be evaluated for next Semester.
If you missed the deadline, you can expect the next deadline to be around the same date/period as the previous deadline. To be sure, always visit this page for updates.
Step 3: If required, take the admission exam. The details of and instructions for taking the exam will be emailed by admissions.
Step 4: If required, complete the DERM. The link to the DERM will be emailed by admissions.
Step 5: Wait for an email from the OUR about the admission results. Results of the evaluation will be released after the evaluation of the respective Admissions Committee of the program and before the registration/enrollment period of the applied term.
How much is the tuition for the PhD in Education program?
Tuition is PhP 1,000.00/unit. Semestral tuition for the program is PhP 8,200.00 for the maximum allowable load of 6 units. Click on the links for the schedule of tuition and payment procedures.
I have other questions.
For more information about the program, please visit the program webpage here: Doctor of Philosophy in Education
For further admission inquiries and follow-ups on the status of your application, send an email to the UPOU Admission Section via the UPOU Helpdesk.
Due to the COVID-19 situation, UPOU landlines may be unattended at times since staff are observing a skeletal schedule. It would be best to reach us via the UPOU Helpdesk.
We look forward to having you as our student!