Admission to the Master of Social Work
This article will guide you through relevant information about the admission qualifications, procedures, and requirements to the Master of Social Work program. Please read through this article carefully.
The Master of Social Work (MSW) program is open for admission every semester. You may click on any section in the Contents to directly navigate you to the information you need.
What are the admission qualifications for the MSW program?
To be admitted to the MSW program, the applicant must:
- have satisfied the program-specific requirements listed in the program’s information and curriculum;
- have submitted the complete documentary requirements for admission before the application deadline; and
- have taken and passed the admission exam.
Is there a qualifying or entrance exam for the MSW program?
To be admitted to the MSW program, an applicant must take the MSW Qualifying Exam (QE). The MSW QE is an online examination to be taken by selected UPOU Diploma in Social Work graduates only. The list of examinees will come from the UPOU Faculty of Management and Development Studies.
Details of and instructions for taking the exam will be emailed by the UPOU Admission Section.
Results of the exam will also be emailed by the UPOU Admission Section. Kindly wait for their email regarding the details and results of the exam.
What are the admission requirements for the MSW program?
Aside from the MSW-specific requirements, applicants must also secure the following:
- Print copy of the signed application for admission form generated from the Online Application System.
- Original and photocopy of academic credentials:
- For applicants without college units yet:
- If high school or senior high school graduate: Original Form 137 and Form 138 with school’s dry seal;
- If PEPT or ALS A&E Passer: Original copy of the test results and certified true copy of the diploma;
- If the applicant holds international scholastic records: Original copy of scholastic records with citation ‘for college admission’ duly authenticated by the Philippine Foreign Service Post located in the student applicant’s country of origin or legal residence;
- For applicants with college units (transferees):
- If a former UP student: Original copy of the Official Transcript of Records (OTR) indicating date cleared by the concerned UP units and a Permit to Transfer;
- If a former college student of another higher education institution: Original copy of the Official Transcript of Records (OTR). The OTR should bear the school’s dry seal and imprint, and the Registrar’s signature in ink, and must bear acceptable remarks.
- If a former college student of multiple schools: Original copy of the Official Transcript of Records (OTR) from the last school attended. The latest OTR should reflect all credentials from prior school/s. The OTR should bear the school’s dry seal and imprint, and the Registrar’s signature in ink, and must bear acceptable remarks.
- If the applicant holds international scholastic records: Original copy of scholastic records with citation ‘copy for UP Open University’ duly authenticated by the Philippine Foreign Service Post located in the student applicant’s country of origin or legal residence;
- Proof of payment of application fee (non-refundable) amounting to PHP 350.00 for applicants based in the Philippines or USD 75.00 for applicants based abroad. View the payment procedures here.
- Two pieces identical 2” x 2” photos and two identical 1” x 1” photos, with your name and the program applied for printed at the back of the photos;
- Photocopy of NSO or PSA Birth Certificate;
- Photocopy of government-issued IDs with photo;
- If below 18 years old (minor), original copy of the filled out and signed Consent and Assent Form for Minors.
- Additional requirements for foreign applicants (non-Filipino):
- Scholastic Records duly authenticated by the Philippine Foreign Service Post located in the student applicant’s country of origin or legal residence;
- Photocopy of data page of the student’s passport showing date and place of birth, and birth certificate or its equivalent duly authenticated by the Philippine Foreign Service Post.
What are the admission procedures for the MSW program?
Step 1: Apply for admission and upload the admission requirements through the Online Application System (OAS). Monitor the progress of your application through the OAS. Please visit this link to view UPOU's admission deadlines.
Step 2: Mail or bring the complete and valid admission requirements on or before the deadline to the address below:
The Admission Section
Office of the University Registrar
UP Open University
Los Baños, Laguna 4031 Philippines
If a deadline has passed, applications for that deadline will no longer be accepted and will be evaluated for next Semester.
If you missed the deadline, you can expect the next deadline to be around the same date/period as the previous deadline. To be sure, always visit this page for updates.
Step 3: If required, take the admission exam. The details of and instructions for taking the exam will be emailed by admissions.
Step 4: If required, complete the DE Readiness Module (DERM). The link to the DERM will be emailed by admissions.
Step 5: Wait for an email from the OUR about the admission results. Results of the evaluation will be released after the evaluation of the respective Admissions Committee of the program and before the registration/enrollment period of the applied term.
How much is the tuition for the MSW program?
Tuition is PhP 1,000.00/unit. Semestral tuition for the program is PhP 8,200.00 for the maximum allowable load of 6 units. Click on the links for the schedule of tuition and payment procedures.
I have other questions.
For more information about the program, please visit the program webpage here: Master of Social Work
For further admission inquiries and follow-ups on the status of your application, send an email to the UPOU Admission Section via the UPOU Helpdesk.
Due to the COVID-19 situation, UPOU landlines may be unattended at times since staff are observing a skeletal schedule. It would be best to reach us via the UPOU Helpdesk.
We look forward to having you as our student!