Admission to the Bachelor of Education Studies
This article will guide you through relevant information about the admission qualifications, procedures, and requirements to the Bachelor of Education Studies program. Please read through this article carefully.
The Bachelor of Education Studies (BES) program is open for admission every Trimester. You may click on any section in the Contents to directly navigate you to the information you need.
What are the admission qualifications for the BES program?
Who can apply for admission to the BES program?
- Successful UPCAT Applicants;
- UPOU AA graduates or graduates of other degree program/s;
- Qualified transferees.
What is the UP College Admission Test (UPCAT)?
- The UPCAT is administered by the Office of Admissions in UP Diliman;
- The UPCAT is only taken once; qualified transferees are not required to take the UPCAT;
- The UPCAT is also not required for AA graduates and applicants with previous degree/s.
For more information about UPCAT (qualifications, requirements), please go to this website.
What is the admission procedure through UPCAT (Successful UPCAT applicant)?
Successful UPCAT applicants to UPOU are senior students (i.e. Fourth Year, Grade 12, Senior 6) who have chosen to study at UPOU under the BES program and have taken and passed the most recent UPCAT. Successful UPCAT applicants should wait an email from the Office of the University Registrar (OUR) for instructions for confirmation of admission. However, they are advised to prepare the following requirements:
- Original Form 137
- Original Form 138
- Photocopy of NSO or PSA birth certificate
- Two pieces identical 2″ x 2″ and 1″ x 1″ pictures
Successful UPCAT applicants* to UPOU are also required to complete the online Distance Education Readiness Module (DERM). The information about the DERM will also be emailed by the UPOU Admission Section.
*Information on UPCAT appeals will be posted as an announcement in the Office of the University Registrar website (https://registrar.upou.edu.ph/)
What is the admission procedure through UPOU Associate in Arts (AA) program or other degree program?
To be admitted to the BES program, the applicant must:
- have completed the Associate in Arts (AA) program of UPOU or a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized tertiary or higher education institution;
- have submitted the complete documentary requirements for admission before the application deadline; and
- if necessary, have completed the UPOU Distance Education (DE) Readiness Module. Link to the DERM will be emailed by the UPOU Admission Section.
For information about the admission procedures and requirements for the AA program, please go to this article.
What is the admission procedure through transfer admissions (transferees)?
The following are considered as transferee:
- a current or former student of another UP unit or school/university;
- a graduate of a 2-year diploma, certificate, associate, or technical and vocational (tech voc) program; or a
- former college, diploma, certificate, associate, or technical and vocational (tech voc) student who stopped schooling.
To be admitted as transferee, the applicant must:
- have satisfied the transfer admission requirements:
- If coming from a UP unit: completed at least 33 units of college and a GWA of 2.5 or better
- If coming from a non-UP unit: completed at least 33 units of college and a GWA of 2.0 or better
- have submitted the complete documentary requirements for admission before the application deadline.
- have completed the UPOU Distance Education (DE) Readiness Module. Link to the DERM will be emailed by the UPOU Admission Section.
PE, NSTP, theology, and technical courses from a 2-year or tech voc program are excluded in the computation of units and GWA.
What are the admission requirements for the BES program?
Please note that these listed requirements are only for AA graduates, transferees to BES, and applicants with previous degree/s.
- Print copy of the signed application for admission form generated from the Online Application System.
- Original and photocopy of academic credentials:
- If a former UP student: Original copy of the Official Transcript of Records (OTR) indicating date cleared by the concerned UP units and a Permit to Transfer;
- If a former college student of another higher education institution: Original copy of the Official Transcript of Records (OTR). The OTR should bear the school’s dry seal and imprint, and the Registrar’s signature in ink, and must bear an acceptable remarks.
- If a former college student of multiple schools: Original copy of the Official Transcript of Records (OTR) from the last school attended. The latest OTR should reflect all credentials from prior school/s. The OTR should bear the school’s dry seal and imprint, and the Registrar’s signature in ink, and must bear an acceptable remarks.
- If the applicant holds international scholastic records: Original copy of scholastic records with citation ‘copy for UP Open University’ duly authenticated by the Philippine Foreign Service Post located in the student applicant’s country of origin or legal residence;
- Proof of payment of application fee (non-refundable) amounting to PHP 350.00 for applicants based in the Philippines or USD 75.00 for applicants based abroad. View the payment procedures here.
- Two pieces identical 2” x 2” photos and two pieces identical 1” x 1” photos, with your name and the program applied for printed at the back of the photos;
- Photocopy of NSO or PSA Birth Certificate;
- Photocopy of government-issued IDs with photo;
- Additional requirements for foreign applicants (non-Filipino):
- Scholastic Records duly authenticated by the Philippine Foreign Service Post located in the student applicant’s country of origin or legal residence;
- Photocopy of data page of the student’s passport showing date and place of birth, and birth certificate or its equivalent duly authenticated by the Philippine Foreign Service Post.
What are the admission procedures to the BES program?
Please note that these listed procedures are only for AA graduates, transferees to BAMS, and applicants with previous degree/s.
Step 1: Apply for admission and upload the admission requirements through the Online Application System (OAS) before the deadline. Monitor the progress of your application through the OAS. Please visit this link to view UPOU's admission deadlines.
Step 2: Mail or bring the complete and valid admission requirements on or before the deadline to the address below:
The Admission Section
Office of the University Registrar
UP Open University
Los Baños, Laguna 4031 Philippines
If a deadline has passed, applications for that deadline will no longer be accepted and will be evaluated for next Trimester.
If you missed the deadlines, you can expect the next deadline to be around the same date/period as the previous deadline. To be sure, always visit this page for updates.
Step 3: Complete the DERM. The link to the DERM will be emailed by the UPOU Admission Section.
Step 4: Wait for an email from the OUR for the admission results. Results of the evaluation will be released after the evaluation of the Undergraduate Admissions Committee and before the registration/enrollment period of the applied term.
How much is the tuition for the BES program?
Tuition is PhP 1,000.00/unit. Trimestral tuition for undergraduate programs is PhP 14,400.00 for the maximum allowable load of 12 units. Click on the links for the schedule of tuition and payment procedures.
I have other questions.
For more information about the program, please visit the program webpage here: Bachelor of Education Studies
For further admission inquiries and follow-ups on the status of your application, send an email to the UPOU Admission Section via the UPOU Helpdesk.
Due to the COVID-19 situation, UPOU landlines may be unattended at times since staff are observing a skeletal schedule. It would be best to reach us via the UPOU Helpdesk.
We look forward to having you as our student!