Since our students our dispersed all over the country and abroad, the University of the Philippines Open University (UPOU) set up student support services to assist their concerns:
- Financial assistance
- Delivery of course material
- Setting up of examination
- Use of computer
- Navigating the course site
- Other administrative matters
We also support our students through:
- Scholarships and Financial Services Program
- Learning and Testing Centers Development and Management Program
- Counselling and Guidance Program
- Student Activities and Organizations Program
- Student Accessibility Program
- UPOU Networks
- Library Services
- Examination Services
You can click on any section in the Table of Contents to directly navigate you to the information you need.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
When the university adopted online learning as a mode to deliver its courses in 2007, it developed a website where students can access their courses and student support services as well as receive important notifications from the university. It is called MyPortal, an open source learning management system, or UPOU's virtual classroom, powered by Moodle. MyPortal is where you can access all your courses and other relevant information related to your studies. MyPortal includes repository of resources such as guides and syllabi, and manual and references; communication hub where discussion forums, private messages and chat sessions are being done; and assessment where assignments are submitted and examinations and quizzes are administered.
All the interactions between and among teachers and students take place in MyPortal. Each online course (or subject) would have its own virtual classroom or what we in UPOU call the ‘course site.'
MyPortal has features that enable the teacher and the learners to interact with one another:
- Discussion boards to facilitate dialogue between and among the teacher and students
- Announcements to remind students of requirements
- Chats for real-time conversations
- Repository for online learning materials
- Facility for submission of assignments and other course requirements by the students
- Wiki, blogs, and other tools for collaboration
The UPOU MyPortal Homepage (https://myportal.upou.edu.ph/ )
The UPOU Networks
The UPOU Networks is the online repository of multimedia resources produced by the university. It is one of the programs of the university that is intended to make learning more accessible to a larger community. Aside from making possible for users to access a plethora of knowledge and information in multimedia formats, the networks also allows communal interactions among members of the academe and learners all over the world on real time.
The UPOU Networks Homepage (https://networks.upou.edu.ph/ )
Library Resources and Services
The UPOU Library is the most heavily used service unit by faculty members and students. It is one of the key components of an academic and scholarly institution like the UPOU. Its great responsibility is to make information services make available in all types and forms to meet the need of its constituents.
The following are its services:
- Web Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC). Just like their counterparts in the residential campuses, UPOU students and faculty can access the library's Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC) via the Integrated Library Management System software provided by the UP System.
- Virtual Reference Service (Email). Through the Virtual Reference Service (Via Email) faculty and students may request for books or book chapters, thesis abstracts, and full text articles, from the UPOU Library via email.
- Document Delivery. The Library sends printed books to requesting UPOU students via courier. The same books are sent back to the library through the same courier service.
- Bibliographical Services. The UPOU Library prepares subject and author bibliographies on specific topics upon request.
- Referral Services and Intra/Inter-library Loan. In extreme cases where our students and faculty members would like to borrow materials from libraries outside the college and university, the College Librarian usually obtains such materials through an intra/inter-library loan. The College Librarian also writes letters for its students and faculty members so that they may be able to use the resources and facilities of libraries outside the UP System Library.
- Reader’s Assistance Services. The UPOU Library provides library orientation to new students as well as walk-in researchers who request such services. The staff also answers queries concerning the client’s current information needs. Upon request, the staff are able to advise students on materials that they could use for their study and research.
For further inquiries and concerns about library resources and services, please send an email to [email protected]
Note: If you are referring to printed modules for your UPOU courses, send an email to [email protected]
Examination Services Program is one of the programs under the Office of Student Affairs and responsible for the over-all administration and delivery of academic examinations done at the University such as midterm and final examinations, make-up examinations and comprehensive examinations.
It’s functions are:
- scouting, evaluating and maintaining the pool of examination venue and proctors
- distributing, supervising and collecting examination questionnaires from the faculty of studies
- coordinating examination concerns of students and proctors
- ensuring the integrity and security of examinations in compliance with university rules and
For further inquiries about examinations, please send an email to your respective Faculty Office and to [email protected]
Note: If you are referring to admission exams (UgAT, MPM GAT, DATE), file a ticket on the UPOU Helpdesk (https://heldesk.upou.edu.ph). If you are referring to UPCAT, please visit this website: https://upcat.up.edu.ph/.